Saturday, March 6, 2010

Daddy Tree

My Dad and Mom divorced when I was six years old. So I didn’t see my Dad a lot while growing up. But after he went home to be with the Lord, it made me reflect on the things that he did during those six years, things that made an impression on my life. I soon realized I was very much like my Dad in many ways. Honesty, Devotion, Dependability, and most of all, a love for the Lord Jesus Christ. He had spent all of those years, teaching us verbally and by his actions these and many other moral qualities. My older siblings had more time with him in our home, and I am sure they benefitted from his living example.

So after his death, and my reflection on these things, I wrote a letter to my siblings, advising them of his estate, and their perspective share, but reminded them that he left us something of far greater value than money, he left us a Godly heritage. As anyone looks on my family, and their families, they all have one thing in common, and it is this heritage, a Godly one, and a love for God, and respect for others.

I wrote this poem to honor my Dad, I really hope he likes it. I included it in the letter I sent to my brother and sisters. I wanted them, to remember with me, that he did right by us.

As a tree in the forest, His branches bright with leaves,
Young children in the boughs, sitting in the breeze.
Forts and carvings, late night tales and such,
Memories are found there, I miss it so much.
That tree now cut down, its branches all gone,
How will others know him, his strength, and his song?
Then I saw in that forest, six trees with his mark,
His seed took root, and has grown with his bark.
New memories now are making, children awed by the sight,
Six trees just like him, their leaves just as bright.
Comfort they bring to others, fun and the like,
Standing in his strength both day and through the night!
MFL-2004

Thank You Daddy… See you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mike, this was very good. I love the poem, (but if I could, I would make only one change:) I would write "young children in the boughs" instead of "young boys" since we were not all boys. It made me think of other memories too, such as, our Bible devotions around the supper table, honeycomb at bedtime, peanuts from his closet, teaching us mathematics in our head, sitting on the back of his big arm chair combing his hair (I loved doing that!) and wonderful Christmas mornings. Mother used to tell me that those wonderful Christmases were ALL Daddy. He took us all Christmas shopping to buy presents for everyone in the family, with only one or two dollars each! (Back then you could get nice little dime gifts.) Then on Christmas morning, we would wake up to piles of Christmas presents for each of us! (I don’t know how he could afford it.) However, Mother did her part too, with things like making wardrobes of doll clothes for freshly cleaned hand-me-down dolls made to look like new (I loved those dolls!) and coconut cakes, and so many other goodies! We really had a wonderful family life, until the divorce. They accomplished a lot in those early years, in raising us in the nurture and admonition of the LORD. I am very thankful for the Godly heritage they gave us! Thanks Mike, for taking us down Memory Lane once again. It is a blessing and comfort to remember that we will see Daddy and Mother again soon! –Cathy

    ReplyDelete