Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Big Day

It was the big day!

Since I have known her, from the very day that I saw her, and my heart beat differently, I have known that she would thrill my soul for the entire of my life. It was her smile, her laugh, and the way she spoke. I could tell that she was everything that my heart had longed for in a mate for life.

When she fell in love with me, I was overwhelmed with joy. She was all I could think about. Living in another city, I wrote every day, and called every night. When there was a letter in the mail from her my day was complete.

We decided to get married, and it seemed that the day would never come. All I wanted to do was to have her as my own, all of her, to consume her very being into my own. I wanted to know her as I knew my own soul. But it just seemed that that day would never come.

Every time I saw her I thought that she could not ever be more beautiful than she was that very moment I was watching her. But soon, as I learned more about her, I realized that that her sparkling beauty only deepened in my eyes. She truly was my sunshine. She brightened my day, my life, and my future.

Then it came… The day finally came, and those last twenty-four hours seemed as though they just stopped. Slowly the seconds crept by. Then I found myself dressing in my tuxedo looking rather handsome, I thought to myself. My best man, and usher meeting me at the church, with the pastor taking me through the details of the service. I wanted to see her so much it had been all day, without one glimpse.

There, standing with my best man, an usher, and the little guy holding the pillow with those golden rings, and looking rather bored; I waited. Then the organ started to play that familiar tune, and one by one the brides maids came down the aisle followed by this precious little girl tossing white rose pedals to either side in preparation of the Bride.

The organ started the wedding march, the congregation rose to its feet and turned to meet the Bride as she and her Father entered the room, He to give her away, she to become my wife. As I looked with the others I saw her, as if seeing her for the first time. She was so beautiful. The sight of her took my breath. My heart beat so hard I thought I would faint. My knees became weak and I thought they would fail me. And the thought that she was to be mine overwhelmed me. I did not think she could appear any more beautiful to me that at this very moment.

One day I was greeted with the news that we were to have a baby. That was such great news. It was what we both wanted more than anything. As the baby grew inside of her, she radiated a beauty that I have never seen. I was wrong I thought to myself, she was even more beautiful now than the day I watched her coming down the wedding aisle.

The years have past, and our love has grown. Our daughter has grown as well. One day I was watching my wife of fifteen years, and again, I thought how wrong I have been. There she was, my bride. My wife. The Mother of our daughter. My lover, and my best friend. I saw again in her a beauty that I have never seen. I thought back to that wonderful day when she accepted my vows, and became my wife, how beautiful she was, and now it seems that she has become even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined.

And now, after twenty six years of being married to my best friend, our Daughter has accepted the offer of her best friend to be his wife. There will be plans, and dreams, and happy thoughts. I soon will walk my daughter down the aisle to give her away to start a new life with her new husband. And my Sunshine and I will start a new chapter in our life together.

Our lives lay before us. We will walk it hand in hand. And I am sure that until that day that the Lord takes one of us home, she will continue to surprise me with her increasing beauty.

I look forward to my surprises.

I Love You My Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment