Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Letter To My Dad

Dad

I wanted to ask you some questions, but now that you are in heaven, I may never know the answers. But I feel like asking them will help.

Why did you leave us? As an adult now, I understand why you left our home, but why did you leave us? I remember so many things we did together. You took us to the beach. You took us to hockey games. You took us to see Pro Wrestling, my favorite wrestler was Wahoo McDaniels. I saw the Harlem Globe Trotters with you.I caught fly balls at the baseball games you took us to. But all of these things I remember when you lived with us. I don’t remember you ever doing anything with me after you left. I don’t remember you at any of my birthdays, and you never took me fishing, as much as you loved to fish, it makes me wonder why?

Every night, you taught us something from God’s word. You helped us memorize scripture verses, and rewarded us for saying them. You always took us to church on Sundays, and showed us how important it was to be in God’s house on the Lord’s day, and to show respect. But after you left us, you never took me to church again. You never talked to me about my salvation ( I was only six), and you never asked if I was reading my bible, or memorizing scripture. I still wonder why?

Did you stop loving us when you left? Did you stop caring if we knew God anymore? When God led me back to the church where I was raised, and revealed his son to me at the age of twenty three, you were still there. After all those years of going to that church without us there too, did it ever feel strange to you? Did you ever wish we were there with you? After God saved me, and began to use me in this church, why did you act like I was your opposition? After seventeen years of me being in the perils of God’s wrath, were you not glad that I was now saved from that wrath?

Dad, what did we do to make you not care about us anymore? I wish I knew before you left us again, so I could say I was sorry. I grew up with many of the values I learned from you in the six short years you lived with us. I became a man that is trustworthy, Kind, and honest. I came to know Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I married and raised a beautiful daughter that loves the Lord. I did all that with only six tears of your influence in my life. I wonder what kind of man I would have been if you had not left us?

Dad, I forgive you for leaving. I may never know why you left, or why you did not want to share your life or faith with me anymore, but I forgive you. I know if I were you, and had time to think about what I had done to my children, I would be really sad. So I forgive you, and I Love you anyway!

Happy Father’s Day,
Your Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment