Friday, July 23, 2010

Life Is A Bore

Early in my life I was extremely bashful and quiet. (I know what “you who know me” are thinking). But at some point, I learned a valuable lesson… People love to talk about themselves! That’s right, I always hated crowds and parties, I was the wallflower, standing in a corner somewhere out of the way. If engaged in conversation, I was always so afraid whatever I would say, would sound ignorant… So sure enough, I blithered when called into a conversation. (It’s always nice to not be disappointed by one’s own expectations). But when I learned this very valuable life lesson, I could enter any conversation with growing confidence. I would simply ask someone, “So, What do you do?” And before you know it two or three of the group, are trying to out talk each other. Before you know it, everyone loved me, “Isn’t he a really cool guy?” they would say, and other such accolades. It really is laughable. I realized that most people only hear themselves, so it really is not a matter of them being rude, when they start talking about themselves while you are still answering their last question, they just don’t have ears for any noise other than their own blithering.

Well, all the accolades over the years have gone to my head. The acceptance has given me such confidence, that I began to monopolize conversations, and I find myself sometimes deaf to “Good Conversation” and attentive to my own blither. I love to tell jokes, and am fueled when those listening respond in laughter. What I really would like, is to be a part of the conversation. To be accepted by my peers. To be appreciated for my qualities, and appreciate the qualities of those I converse with. But it seems that I have been molded by the “Rule of Society” and fallen prey to my own human nature, so that I have become a “Bore”. Giovanni Vincenzo once said, “A bore deprives you of solitude, while denying you of company”.

As a Christian, God’s love dwells in our heart, and is the motive of the “New Man”. It is “Love” that “Seeks Not Her Own” (1 Cor. 13:4-7 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things) So when I am yielded to the leading and power of the Lord, I become a listener in conversations now, I care about the person speaking, and what they feel is important to them. When the entire group has this mindset, then real conversation (Fellowship) takes place.

Life sometime is a bore. I once was dominated by bores. I was a bore. Now, I am whole.

MFL

1 comment: